Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Birthday Present of Hot Tuna!

One of my best friends and a friend of 42 years, Mike Wallace (a top shelf guitar tech (Wallace Music, Moline, IL), finger style and electric guitarist and musician), gave me probably the best 60th birthday present I could get…a chance to see Hot Tuna in concert at the Englert Theater in Iowa City!!! Mike reminded me that I had taught him Hesitation Blues back when he was 12 or 13. I'd forgotten that bit of info.

If you don't know Jorma (Kaukonen), then you don't know Jack (Casady)! Nor do you know Barry Mitterhoff! Those three individuals comprise the current Hot Tuna acoustic act and an opportunity to see them live should NOT be missed! Jorma and Jack are two of the founding members of Jefferson Airplane and have been making music together since they were 12. Along with Barry Mitterhoff on mandolin, Jorma on acoustic guitar and Jack on electric bass, are one of the most cohesive, sensitive, dynamic acoustic acts around! As an example view the eTown video of "Things That Might Have Been" below...

And, for more of your listening pleasure, here's a video of "Hesitation Blues" from 2010 in the Pabst Theater, Milwaukee...there is so much more variety and versatility that these musicians bring to the table. I hope that you find the time to explore their offerings as I believe you won't be disappointed!

No comments: